Jared and I are pretty stubborn. Neither of us likes to cook or do the dishes. This is why for the first three years of our marriage we ate out. So much in fact my sister and sister-in-law each gave me a magnet.
When we were first married, I LOVED eating out. Growing up in a large family, we only went out on special occasions. So when we were able to go out every night, I always got excited. Now when we go out it is more of chore and not fun. I miss eating out being fun and special.
I really hate deciding what to make for dinner and Jared always says, "I don't know, something good." I hate that answer. We are usually hungry right then so we just go out and get something. This resulted in us paying like $500 a month on restaurants, not to mention the regular grocery bill of $ 150 a month. WHAT?! Seriously $650 a month on food for 2 people. You would think we ate like kings! Yes we were crazy.
This is our Monthly Food Chart. I tell you what. IT works wonders!
1- No more having to think about what's for dinner
2- Grocery shopping is a snap!
3- $$$ BIG SAVINGS $$$
Wanna see a close up? Yeah I thought you would. You are probably thinking, "Yeah ideas for dinner!" Your welcome!
You may be wondering why every Saturday has Jared's name on it. Well I think Jared can handle dinner one night a week. That means I don't have to do a dang thing on that day! Yeah!! This usually means we go out because Jared won't cook. Once a week is so much better than everyday!
Now our grocery bill is a little more and our restaurant bill is WAY less. Instant savings!! Grocery bill $350 restaurant bill $120 for a total of $470. Savings = $180 a month (figures are approx.)
The tricky part was getting this thing started. I am a picky eater so the first month was killer! I would ask anyone that I knew, "What's your favorite meal?" If it sounded good it went on the list. I then started to stick them into the calender with similar meals spread apart. After that it is just sticking to it. If you don't want whats planned for the day, To bad just eat it anyway. The next month was a little easier. I already had a little over a month and a half a meals on the list so it was just mixing them up a bit. So really we only have the same meal once a month or so. It works out great for us.
For Christmas my parents gave us a cow. So now I have a freezer full of roasts, steaks, and hamburger. Know of any good recipes? Please share!

I love reading your posts!! You are so dang cute!! What does it say on the 18th? It looks like grapes!! I hope that is not all you are having! :) This is a great idea!!! I wish I could be motivated enough to do this!! But, no, I just wait for my personal chef (aka Jake, my husband), to wake up and make me something for dinner. If he doesn't then I don't eat!! It's semi-workable diet program....hahahah. Oh, and I have to wait for him to wake up because he works nights, so he sleeps during the day. I didn't want anyone thinking he was a lazy bum...although that could be true also....
ReplyDeleteWow, that's great Jenn! I've done weekly meal plans (only a few times, I must admit), but an entire month! You're awesome. Good luck. It really does help when you don't have to spend a half hour every day deciding what to make for dinner
ReplyDelete